SPEAK RAPANUI!, by Ana Betty Haoa Rapahango and
William Liller, an excellent primer in the language of Easter Island, is
unfortunately no longer available from the
Easter Island Foundation.
THE TOP TEN
The following , reprinted from Speak Rapanui!, are considered the ten
essential Rapanui words and phrases.
Hello! Good morning! Good afternoon! Good evening! - 'Iorana!
- How are you ? (singular) - Pehe koe?
- How are you ? (plural) - Pehe korua?
- Fine! - Riva-riva! (often sounds like diva-riva , or riba-riba)
- Please - Ana hanga koe
- Thank you - Maururu
- You're welcome - O te aha no
- What is your name? - Ko ai tou ingoa?
- To your health! - Manuia (paka-paka)!
- Goodbye - 'Iorana (old: Ko mao a )